Full-Time ECE Teacher’s Aide (FT)
POSITION TITLE: Early Childhood Education Teacher’s Aide I
DEPARTMENT: Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (Kroc Center Hawaii)
SUPERVISOR: Early Childhood Education Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Part Time, On Call, Hourly
GENERAL STATEMENT: The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is a spiritual, emotional and physical regeneration of all people.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
KROC CENTER HAWAII VISION: Kroc Center Hawaii is a community center where families, individuals and relationships thrive in the name of Jesus.
The Kroc Keiki Learning Center Teacher’s Aide is responsible for working with a supervising teacher and others in the KKLC staff in providing a well-balanced, developmentally appropriate curriculum that enhances all aspects of a child’s development; including health, safety, education, spiritual, and psychological wellness.
The Kroc Keiki Learning Center Teacher’s Aide will have a deep commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army, which will be evident in his or her professional life and the manner in which he or she represents The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in the community.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Interest in working with children ages 2-5
- Coursework or training in Early Childhood Education or Child Development.
- Prior experience supervising children in daycare or preschool environment is highly preferred.
- Together with supervising teachers, implements activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and social needs of the children in the program.
- Ensures equipment and the facility are clean, well maintained and safe at all times. Assists in the daily inspection of the environment to identify potentially hazardous objects or situations. Reports information to ECE Director.
- Helps prepare the classroom at the beginning of the day and/or perform cleanup and set up for the next day’s activities.
- Assists to establish routines and provide positive guidance.
- Assists in providing activities that introduce math, literacy and other academic concepts and culturally appropriate programs and activities.
- Assists in implementing daily lesson/activity plans which integrate our co-developed Bible thematic units and include a variety of experiences and activities for children including songs, games and storytelling.
- Ensures children are supervised at all times, adhering to the Salvation Army procedures for Protecting the Mission. Provides a safe and secure environment for children to feel comfortable and builds children’s esteem.
- Creates a welcoming climate for both child and parent, especially at drop-off and pick-up times.
- Clearly and effectively communicates in a manner that children understand. Implements positive discipline when required.
- Observes children and makes note of progress.
- Promotes team spirit and cooperation between staff, volunteers, and parents.
- Assists in snack and meal preparation, distribution and clean-up.
- Teaches proper eating habits and personal hygiene. Serves meals and snacks in accordance with nutritional guidelines.
- Knows emergency procedures.
- Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain the Code of Ethics policy, which has been established for the Kroc Center Hawaii.
- Attend staff meetings and other administrative meetings.
- Maintain regular and punctual work attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Caring for children can be stressful. The Keiki Learning Center Teacher’s Aide must ensure that children are supervised at all times, and that children are involved in safe and appropriate activities. There may be a number of situations happening at once, and the Teacher’s Aide must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time. The position must maintain poise under pressure, respond to crisis situations in a calm and effective manner, and be resilient in the face of workplace stressors such as customer service complaints, maintaining the security of people and property, competing priorities, etc. This position must maintain a self-motivated and self- directed schedule, able to work with limited supervision, and in a team setting with other professionals. This position must possess the self-discipline necessary to perform repetitive tasks without lowering quality of work, exercise good judgment and be comfortable taking initiative with projects.
The Keiki Learning Center Teacher’s Aide may be lifting and carrying children and equipment and may spend time sitting on the floor or child sized furniture. The Teacher’s Aide will be expected to help clean and maintain equipment and facility and may move throughout the community with children. The Teacher’s Aide may come in contact with children who are ill and/or contagious and must take precautions to ensure the health and safety of all children, parents, staff and themselves.
The Teacher’s Aide will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment. There may be a number of activities and situations happening at once, and Teacher’s Aide will have to supervise all children at all times.
The Teacher’s Aide may experience smells associated with toileting and children who are ill.
There may be times that the environment is noisy and busy. The position also requires sitting; climbing and/or balancing; stooping, kneeling, bending, stretching, crouching and/or crawling; standing; walking; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; use of vision; pushing/pulling/lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds and occasionally more than 25 pounds with assistance.
The position requires talking with co-workers, clients; requires written communication to and from co-workers, talking on the telephone; requires responding to written or verbal requests of co-workers, clients, and vendors; requires training/giving verbal and written instructions; requires receiving verbal and written instructions; requires writing/composing written language; requires reading; requires visiting/working at other worksites; requires communication via the latest technologies.
The position requires the ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner in conformity with The Salvation Army Mission Statement. The position also requires the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
Activity mats & tables, classroom chairs, blocks, carts, outdoor play equipment/furniture, toys, arts & crafts accessories, books, classroom lockers/storage units, diaper changing tables, easels, etc.
Equipment used includes general office equipment such as computers, photocopiers, scanners, printers, fax machines, and telephone.
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES
Current First Aid and Child CPR cards (must be obtained within 6 months of hire date)
Registry Card from Hawaii Careers with Young Children
TB Test Clearance Card (current within 12 months before beginning child care)
The candidate chosen for this position will be required to pass a criminal history information check and Child Abuse Index and fingerprint clearance with the FBI and Department of Justice. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude employment. The circumstances involved in the conviction(s) will be considered.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by management.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
- Interested parties must apply online at http://www.kroccenterhawaii.org/careers.html
Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
7 total views, 1 today