Part-Time Fitness Trainer
Ke Ola Mamo promotes the well-being of the whole person. Acknowledging traditional Hawaiian thinking about health, it is recognized that exercise, spiritual development and good social relationships are just as important as nutrition. Central to Ke Ola Mamo’s Health and Wellness Program is prevention and/or control of the complex of symptoms that result in stroke, diabetes complications and heart disease; and promotion of healthy living through nutrition education and assisted exercise, which have been shown to prevent these disabling conditions.
The Fitness Trainer will administer fitness tests that will include strength, body fat, and endurance for all program components. The incumbent will also conduct fitness/nutrition workshops, aerobics, water aerobics, swimming, walking and other exercise groups, supervising volunteers who help in the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and implements the day-to-day activities toward achievement of fitness objectives and outcomes.
- Documents patient care in a manner that is timely, pertinent and concise.
- Performs patient care for the comfort and well-being of patients in a manner that respects their privacy and invites their participation.
- Administer fitness tests that will include strength, body fat, and endurance for all program components.
- Conduct fitness/nutrition workshops, aerobics, water aerobics, swimming, walking and other exercise groups.
- Implement exercise programs.
- Collect pertinent data.
- Conduct fitness/nutrition education along with other staff health educators.
- With Registered Nurse provide collaborative case management for those who need treatment for diabetes, diabetes complications or heart disease.
- Provide regular written report to the Programs Administrator regarding program activities, completion of objectives and projected plan of action.
- Works to meet both federal and state quarterly reporting requirements.
- Conducts quarterly evaluation of program and makes recommendations for changes, as needed. Evaluation measures will include performance on pre-post physical fitness tests, including blood glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, medication needs for each participant.
- Train staff in all Ke Ola Mamo districts in conducting fitness testing and monitoring.
- Oversee implementation of exercise programs for assigned districts.
- Assist staff with exercise/nutrition component of health fairs.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the volunteers who help in the fitness component.
- Assist staff with purchase of nutrition and fitness equipment, by researching product quality and price.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned by the Executive Director.
Indoors and outdoors, under a variety of conditions in the community.
Normally between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekend work may be required; dependent on position duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge of Native Hawaiian cultural values and practices in the delivery of health care services.
- Excellent knowledge of community, health and human service agency resources.
- Excellent problem solving, organizational, and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement strategies to meet clients’ program needs.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate service provisions for clients.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and complete tasks as assigned.
- Ability to empower, nurture and provide training to direct service staff.
- Ability to maintain composure under time restraints and when serving clients.
- Ability to maintain accountability and confidentiality.
- Use of own personal transportation vehicle for work with proof of current no-fault insurance coverage; bicycle will not suffice.
- Current valid driver’s license.
- Driver’s abstract without any moving violations.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (CPR and AED) and First Aid certification.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science degree preferred.
- Personal training and group exercise instructor certification (ACE, NASM, NSCA or ACSM preferred).
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in health care, education, or social and human service position.
- Prefer previous experience in a patient care position.
- Any combination of education and experience that would provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
53 total views, 1 today