Part-Time School Programs Coordinator
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives
Title: School Program Coordinator
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives
Location: Administration Offices
Reports To: Curator of Programs
Status: Part-time (24 hr./week), non-exempt
The School Program Coordinator is responsible for reaching out to schools with programming on and off-site, primary responsibility for scheduling and conducting school programs on-site, and overseeing and scheduling the history theatre program in the schools. Also responsible for assisting the Programs Department achieving media and marketing goals for educational programs. This is a part-time position, Tuesday* through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., 24 hours a week although the schedule is flexible. (*The position may grow to include Mondays as the need increases.)
The School Program Coordinator position at the Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives is a chance to plan, lead, and educate the youth of Hawaiʻi about Hawaiian history. Educating about 4500 students per year, the Hawaiian Mission Houses is the premier site for learning about 19th century Hawaiʻi. Coordinating our onsite and outreach education programs is an exciting area full of rewards that will last a lifetime. You can help bring history to life for the keiki of Hawaiʻi through coordinating our hands-on activities and programs.
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives opened to the public as a museum in 1920. Our education programs have been growing steadily for the last 11 years and we are looking to continue that growth and expand our History Theater program into schools. We also hold many special events and workshops that are an exciting opportunity to continued growth in the field of history and museum work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
On-site School Programming
- Schedules and conducts school programs on-site.
- Ensures adequate school program docents are available for visiting school groups.
- Oversees facility preparation and clean-up for school tours.
- Develops and generates media and marketing content for educational programming.
- Collaborates with other staff, writes and makes arrangements for appropriate brochures and media releases for attracting schools to use on-site programs and in-school presentations.
- Contacts teachers and administrators directly to market school programs.
- Visits teachers and administrators at their schools to market school programs.
- Assists Curator of Programs and Executive Director to develop and refine school programs with Education Advisory Committee.
- Tracks, maintains, and compiles daily and monthly attendance figures with appropriate breakdowns on data and usage by school groups.
- Maintains a record of all school tour programs and events on-site.
- Works with the Curator of Programs and participating teachers to create relevant curriculum, tour content and tour evaluation tools.
Outreach Educational Programming
- Develops and manages media and marketing content for all educational programming with Programs department.
- Works with appropriate staff, markets the History Theatre outreach program to schools.
- Schedules and conducts History Theatre outreach program to schools.
- Works with Curator of Programs, schedules actors to perform the History Theatre outreach program at schools.
- Collaborates with other staff, writes and makes arrangements for appropriate brochures and media releases for attracting schools to use the History Theatre outreach program.
- Contacts teachers and administrators directly to market the History Theatre outreach program at school.
- Visits teachers and administrators at their schools to market the History Theatre outreach program to schools.
- Tracks, maintains, and compiles daily and monthly attendance figures with appropriate breakdowns on data and usage of the outreach History Theatre program.
- Maintains a record of all History Theatre outreach program to schools.
- Works with the Curator of Programs to create participant evaluation tools for History Theatre outreach program to schools.
Assists with special events, workshops and classes as needed on a case-by-case basis.
Availability for occasional evening event support is preferable.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
B.S. in Education with a focus on history or curriculum studies is preferred or B.A. with an interest in Hawaiian History, Hawaiian Studies, American Studies, and/or American History. Teaching experience is preferred.
Must have excellent interpersonal skills; be organized and flexible with sensitivity to the multicultural nature of Hawaii schools, and our local, diverse audiences as well as tourists.
Excellent skills and experience handling all ages of school groups. Must be able to navigate and be mindful of historic spaces, lift and carry programming tools and equipment.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position please email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com and CC firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “School Program Coordinator” on subject line.
Or send your application to: Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives, 553 South King Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813-3002, Attn: Mike Smola.
For more information about Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives, please visit our website at http://www.missionhouses.org
54 total views, 2 today